Stop 35. The Cemetery Gatehouse

Bhca Gatehouse

ADDRESS: 334 E Howard St

YEAR BUILT: 1859

Situated on Howard Street, at the main entrance of the Union Cemetery, this building is believed by some historians to have been part of the law office of Andrew Gregg Curtin. It may have been moved from the Crider Exchange Block on North Allegheny Street. The alternative history is that it was built in 1859 as, indeed, a gatehouse to the cemetery and home of the cemetery's superintendent. The gables on the front, with their downward-pointing decorations, are in a distinctive Gothic Revival or Folk Victorian style.

Back to All Stops