Stop 43. The Gamble Mill
ADDRESS: 160 Dunlop St
YEAR BUILT: 1892
The Stone wall section at the rear of the building dates from 1786. The locale, in the vicinity of the Lamb Street Bridge, was then known as "Lamb's Crossing" after William Lamb built the mill. The present mill dates from 1892, when the original mill was destroyed by fire. Its turbine is still used to pump water to various sections of Bellefonte. The mill race is diverted from Spring Creek and flows under Talleyrand Park and West High Street.
In the 1990s, restoration of this grist mill has won several state awards, and a renowned Centre County restaurant now occupied the building until the late 2010s. It was also the site of the BHCA Gallery at The Gamble Mill. It was remodeled and revitalized again in 2020 as a hotel, restaurant, craft cocktail bar.