Stop 45. Thomas Homestead and the Wren's Nest
ADDRESS: 266 N Thomas Street
YEAR BUILT: 1785
The rear portion of the Thomas Homestead, built in 1785, is the oldest house in present-day Bellefonte. It was built by William Lamb. He sold it to Thomas Gordon in 1788, and Gordon sold it to John Dunlop in 1795. John Dunlop was Ironmaster and Proprietor of the famous "Belle Font Forge." He was the son of Colonel James Dunlop. Colonel Dunlop and his son-in-law James Harris laid out the original plan of Bellefonte, then known as "Big Spring." The house was purchased by William A Thomas, Ironmaster, from the John Dunlop Estate in 1834, at which time the Georgian front section, pictured here, was added and named "The Wren's Nest."
John Dunlop lived in several homes besides the Thomas Homestead. In 1797, he built Logan Furnace Mansion on Route 144 between Axeman and Pleasant Gap, a house on the national registry, and lived from 1803-1806 in The Owles, which stood on a lot next to the Courthouse that is now occupied by the Faith Centre. In 1806, he built Forge House across the road from his Belle Font Forge.