The Diamond and the Centre County Courthouse Postcards & Photos

Historic Bellefonte’s Diamond in Pictures

The Diamond lies at the center of Bellefonte, surrounded, in clockwise order, by the Courthouse, the Reynolds Bank, the Brockerhoff Hotel, the IOOF Lodge, and the First National Bank Building. The Diamond is representative of the Pennsylvania Diamond, characteristic of towns in Pennsylvania and nearby areas that were settled by Pennsylvanians.

A courthouse was first constructed in 1805 and 1806. A Grecian column porch was built in 1835. With the exception of the porch, the entire building was replaced in 1854 and 1855; a new east wing was added in 1963-1964. The Soldiers and Sailors War Memorial and statue of Andrew Gregg Curtin were dedicated in 1906; the designer Joseph M. Huston also designed the State Capitol Building in Harrisburg.

The Reynolds Bank was originally built in 1859 but burned down in 1888. It was rebuilt by Jackson-Hastings and Co. It became the Bellefonte Trust Co. around 1900 and in 2005 was remodeled as additional courtroom space. Immediately east of the Reynolds Bank is the Garman House, which was remodeled in 1888 and was a gathering place for politicians and attorneys. To its east is the Garman Opera House, constructed in 1890; the song "After the Ball is Over" was first sung in public here. It later was the State Theatre and is presently a movie theatre.

The Brockerhoff Hotel is located at the site of a log cabin owned by James Benner.  Henry Brockerhoff built the hotel in 1864-1865, but it was redesigned by Robert Cole in the 1890s by adding a fourth floor and mansard roof. It is still a perfect example of 1860-1870 Gothic Revival architecture, with a multi-tiered slate mansard roof and Romanesque windows on the front.

The First National Bank Building was constructed in 1872, but following a fire in 1888, the present structure was rebuilt in 1889, along with the Crider Exchange Building immediately to its north. The two buildings are examples of picturesque eclectic Victorian style. [text on the Diamond adapted from The Historical Walking Tour of Bellefonte, now available as a Virtual Walking Tour.] 

Photos proceed clockwise from the Courthouse around the Diamond.