Stop 14. Garman House (Hotel Do-De)
ADDRESS: 110 East High Street
YEAR BUILT: 1861
In this image, taken down East High Street on the south side of the Courthouse, Garman House sits between the Garman Opera House, with the canopy, and the Reynolds Bank building on the corner. The hotel was purchased by Daniel Garman in 1861. It was remodeled around 1888 and was a gathering place for politicians, salesmen, attorneys and other leading lights of the town.
Called the Do-De Hotel in recent years, it was swept by a devastating fire on September 9, 2012, and was razed in January 2014. The roof and upper floor of the neighboring Garman Opera House were damaged in the fire. The Opera House structure largely survived, but it was also razed in January 2014. See the Garman Opera House webpage for redevelopment plans.