Stop 13. Reynolds Bank
ADDRESS: 106 East High Street
YEAR BUILT: 1885
The Reynolds Bank building is located at the southeast corner of The Diamond in the heart of Bellefonte. To its immediate east (shown) is the Garman House, and to its south (shown) is the Temple Court building. The historic building, originally built to be a bank by Major William F. Reynolds in 1887, experienced several fires and, by 1889, was rebuilt and named the First National Bank. In 1905, after a merger between the Reynolds group and the Jackson, Crider and Hastings Bank, the name changed to the Bellefonte Trust Co. Attorney Col. Jackson L. Spangler bought a large share of stock in the bank and was named Chairman of the Board of Directors, a position he held until two weeks before he died in 1936.
In 2005-2006, it was bought by the County, restored, and restructured as additional courtroom space. The third floor, formerly accessible by a ladder, had been the location of the Masonic Lodge and has since been restored for use by the community.